We know that teacher modeling is important for students. Describe how you will model for students the use of social studies content, processes, and values in your own life.
I will continue to model social studies concepts in my personal life, in the following ways.
- Participating in community activities and civics - I often attend community meetings on local issues (Most recently a meeting with the local DNR and Parks authorities about changes that need to be made to our local parks and which areas the community thinks are most important.), I am not afraid to speak up and express my opinion and concerns. I also attend community events; parades, holiday celebrations, Music at the Millpond, Art Fairs, etc.
- Exercising my Right to Vote! – I will continue to proudly wear my “I Voted” sticker on Election Day!
- Active Membership in The Society for Creative Anachronism – I portray a Norse Woman in this not-for-profit Medieval History group, in which we dress in medieval clothing and practice the Arts, Sciences, and Martial activities prevalent during pre-1600s Europe and the societies in which the interacted.
- Researching and Reading – I am a Social Studies Major. I love History, Historical Fiction, and learning about old and new places, people and cultures.
- Visiting Significant Places – I love visiting Historical Sites, Museums, Government Buildings and other “Significant Places.” ;)
- Keeping Current – I pay attention to what is going on the world. I ask questions, discuss, and share information with others.
- Participating in Life – I am a citizen of the world! I participate in life. I serve in my community, pay attention to the world around me, and enjoy life!