Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Connecting Social Studies and Math


I had to find an activity that involves mathematical ideals from a non-Western culture. I used Tangrams for my report, but, I decided that I would LOVE to have kids "travel around the world" during Math class (maybe all the other subjects too.)


A Trip to China during Math
Adaptable to any grade level - 
I would setup each activity as a center, quads of students rotating through, at least a week long
I have included a photo and a very brief description. (Each has thousands of resources online)

Tangrams (1 square, 1 parallelogram, 5 triangles in various sizes that form a square, and are used to make pictures)



Congkak (a version of Mancala with 7 pits to a side - and 7 seeds/shells in each pit)





Abacus (Ancient Calculator)



Mahjong (I might do this as a computer station and let kids play the solitaire version, as a Mahjong set is quite expensive and the game can take a long time.)
 Image result for mahjong

Counting Rods (red is positive numbers and black is negative)

Image result for chinese counting rods

Do you have any other ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment